Notification

Have a feature you would like to see in xFeed?
lagard2w32

Where is the PUSH notification?

Post by lagard2w32 »

Where is the PUSH notification? Please add it! Or else I will recomend feedPush as a better app.
Kevin

Re: Where is the PUSH notification?

Post by Kevin »

There are no plans to implement push notifications for xFeed. With the upcoming release of iOS4, there are much more efficient and elegant ways to accomplish those tasks.

Post by Guest »

I believe push notification would be a real plus to xfeed. If there is a better way please advise. Thanks ! :?:

Notifications

Post by Guest »

Original post went to feature request, not questions. My mistake.
Is there a way to activate notifications as new feeds are sent? I was looking for something like, when a new message comes in on the iphone, a number 1 pops up with a sound alert letting me know I have a message. Thanks for the great app.
Kevin

Re: Notifications

Post by Kevin »

Hello there,
There is currently nothing in place for notifications... A new version is in the works which should incorporate background refreshing and a new notification system. :P
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

This is a much requested feature! A clean implementation of this feature is in the works... Thank you for your patience!
jetcon

Auto update does not seem to work on my iPad

Post by jetcon »

Auto update does not seem to work, or, at least it doesn't work the way I thought it should (IMHO)
- In the Favorites Category, I have a feed named "Gregg Keizer - Security - Computerworld" (THE FEED) which I have defined to have an Auto Update Interval of 5 Minutes. (see Fig. 4)
- When the xFeed app is launched I click on "Favorites" (see Fig. 1)
- The current time is 11:55 and THE FEED was last updated at 11:33 (I clicked on the manual update at that time) I had been on the page for more than 2 minutes and there were no auto updates
- I click on THE FEED and it updates
- I click on the "info" icon to verify that the auto update time is 5 minutes and then press Cancel (see Fig 3)
- I Sit at the the feed screen till 1201 (more than 5 minutes since the last update) but the last update still shows 1155 (see Fig 4)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin

Re: Auto update does not seem to work on my iPad

Post by Kevin »

Hello and welcome! Thank you for the very thorough question!

You are correct in your observations as to how auto updating is implemented in the current version of xFeed.

The update does not occur in the background.

If, when you select your feed, the amount of time that has passed is greater than your configured update interval; xFeed will download the latest items and add them to your feed.

This behavior will change in future versions. Currently, battery consumption is a main point of concern. If a user has dozens of feeds updating frequently enough, a serious amount of bandwidth and battery could be consumed.
Shay

I am missing only one thing

Post by Shay »

The only one thing that wI'll keep me usIng this's app,
Is when there is a new feed the application will let me know about it
Guenter

Re: Auto update does not seem to work on my iPad

Post by Guenter »

Hi, I encountered the very same problem these days and found this post and answer. Kevin has written "This behavior will change in future versions." - in December 2010. Now I'm curious, WHEN there will be the mentioned future versions - or at least one, where xFeed provides the "usual" notification center integration? What are your plans, feature-wise and time-wise?
Such updates would make xFeed much usefuller than it is already now.
Thanks, Guenter