unread message number[Semi-Solved]

Have a feature you would like to see in xFeed?
Olivier

unread message number[Semi-Solved]

Post by Olivier »

Would it be possible to have, for each feed, a badge showing the number of unread items. This will allow to quickly see which feed to check after an update all. Also the whole number of unread as a badge on the app icon will be a plus.

Regards,
Olivier.
Kevin

Re: unread message number

Post by Kevin »

Olivier,
It would be quite possible. It would be so possible in fact, that it was going to get shoved into the 2.0 release, with some other things. These things did not make into the release as it was decided that if 2.0 was not released soon, it may never be.

My plan to implement badges is somewhat different and I am open to discussion on the topic. The vision for this is to have a number representing the total number of articles in the feed along with the number of articles which are unread. Simple enough. However, I strongly feel that the badge on the app icon quickly becomes irrelevant. When you have a small number of feeds it could be interesting to know that there are a few left to read. When the number of feeds you have grows larger there is a strong chance that you will have an ever growing number of articles which are also unread. I feel that at this point you will have a red badge on your icon with a number like 12,456 which is not only meaningless at that point, but may also be discouraging as you face an impossible task trying to make the badge number fall closer to zero.

Those are my thoughts, but it could always be an option that is switched off by default. There is no harm in giving people a choice.... Hmmmm, this may make it's way into the next version in some form after all.